Leigh Centurions made it three wins from three at the start of the Betfred Championship season with a comprehensive 34-0 win over York City Knights at Leigh Sports Village.

John Duffy’s men powered home in the second half having been 10-0 up at the break thanks to two tries from winger Liam Forsyth who was making his first senior start of the season in place of the injured Adam Higson.

Half-backs Ben Reynolds and Josh Woods again shone for Leigh against a team which beat Leigh home and away in the 2019 season.

“That was a very satisfying performance,” reflected Duffy. “Especially to keep a team as good as York to zero. We started a bit below standard but we had a good chat about things at half-time and picking things up a bit and came away with the win.

“I was pleased for Liam (Forsyth) who has come in and taken his opportunity after suffering an injury in the pre-season game at Salford earlier in the year. I thought we were clinical with ball in hand but we’ve got to put it to bed now – we’ll enjoy it tonight but we’ve got a quick turnaround for Batley on Friday in the Challenge Cup.”

Forsyth claimed his first try in the 23rd minute as he finished off a swift attack where Woods and Gregg McNally combined on the right edge. Reynolds added the conversion off the touchline.

A minute later and Forsyth claimed his second, leaping highest for a Woods kick to the corner and having the strength to touch down though Reynolds was unable to kick the extras on this occasion.

Leigh continued to dominate possession but were unable to add to their lead before half-time despite Iain Thornley being held up over the tryline.

It was a tight start to the second half but Leigh made the breakthrough as Thornley hit a great line to take a well-timed pass from Reynolds and score in the 58th minute. Reynolds added the conversion to make it 16-0.

The way Leigh finished the game would have been very pleasing for Duffy and his coaching staff as they totally dominated the final quarter. With 13 minutes remaining, hooker Liam Hood scored straight from dummy half after Alex Gerrard had been stopped inches from the York tryline seconds earlier. Once again, Reynolds added the goal.

Having scored one, Hood turned provider with a lovely pass for Ben Hellewell who powered for a try eight minutes from time which Reynolds converted to the delight of a buoyant North Stand.

Hooker Matty Wildie caught out the York defence on an arcing run to score from 10 metres with three minutes remaining and another goal from Reynolds made it 34-0.

Leigh now turn their attentions to the Coral Challenge Cup Round Four tie against Batley Bulldogs at Leigh Sports Village on Friday, kick-off 8pm.

Leigh: McNally, Scott, I Thornley, Sa’u, Forsyth, Reynolds, Woods, Mason, Hood, Spencer, Hellewell, Glohe, Addy. Subs: Wildie, Thompson, Bienek, Gerrard

Tries: Forsyth 2, Iain Thornley, Hood, Hellewell, Wildie
Goals: Reynolds 5 (from 6 attempts)

York: Sharp, Bass, Keinhorst, Salter, Wallis, Johnston, Marsh, Baldwinson, Jubb, Clarkson, Jordan-Roberts, Scott, Spears. Subs: Brining, Green, Stock, Teanby

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas
Attendance: 2,942
Main Match Sponsors: Fastflow
Matchball Sponsors: Struktura Engineering Services