Leigh Centurions took on Hull KR at St James’ Park, Newcastle in Match Six of Magic Weekend.


The two sides had played out a thrilling game at Leigh Sports Village four weeks previously which was only decided in the final minutes with Hull KR winning 28-34.


Leigh came into the game after playing the top two, St Helens and Catalans in back to back games. Centurions lost both games but maintained their integrity by travelling to Perpignan to play Catalans.


Centurions kicked off towards their own fans and were soon under pressure when Elliot knocked on from a high kick in the swirling wind. Elliot made up for this with a big tackle on his opposite number.


Hull KR piled on the pressure but Leigh were equal to their opponents and defended well.


Russell was forced to leave the action with an arm injury on 17 minutes and was replaced by Mullen.


Hull KR looked dangerous and crossed the Centurions line twice through Parcell and Storton but the defence managed to hold both players up.


On 22 minutes Centurions took the lead through Russell after great build up from Mellor and a pass from Thornley. Brierley converted from the touchline to give Centurions a 6-0 lead.


KR hit back but the Centurions defence was incredible until the 30th minute when Crooks went over in the corner. Keyes missed the conversion, 6-4.


Hull KR went into the lead for the first time on 33 minutes when Vete crashed his way over between the posts. With Keyes conversion the Hunmberside team led 6-10, a lead they held until the interval.


Half Time     Leigh Centurions 6  Hull KR 10


Hull KR started the second half well and scored two tries in the first ten minutes through Takairandi and Parcell, both converted by Keyes leaving Centurions with a lot to do at 6-22.


Hall scored in the corner for KR, creating the try himself and powering over. Keyes hit the post with his touchline conversion attempt, 6-26


Centurions to their credit kept battling but found it difficult to penetrate the Hull KR last line of defence.

An announcement was made about the days attendance which was 25,762 for all three games and the supporters of Centurions and KR were making themselves heard.


Centurions were dealt an injury blow on 63 minutes when Bell left the field with a head knock.


Centurions best move of the half was halted when Mellor broke clear but the pass he received was adjudged to be forward.


Hull KR weren’t letting up and Keinhorst raced in between the sticks to touch down. Keyes again converted, 6-32.


Foster, on loan from St Helens was a casualty for Centurions after he seemed to catch his foot in the turf making a tackle.


Storton who had had a good game for KR scored a solo try on 75 minutes which Keyes improved, 6-38


With two minutes to go, Keyes added a try to his conversions, and then improved it 6-44.


Final Score   Leigh Centurions 6  Hull Kingston Rovers 44








Leigh Centurions        Brand, Russell, Thornley, Sa’u, Elliot, Brierley, Mellor, Gerrard, Hood, Sidlow, Stone, Hellewell, Bell


Subs    Thompson, Mullen, Foster, Whitbread



Hull KR                        Dagger, Crooks, Minikin, Dowall, Hall, Lewis, Keyes, King, Parcell, Maher, Linnett, Takairangi, Storton


Subs    Vete, Litten, Johnson, Keinhorst

Referee   M. Griffiths