A nine-try night under the lights, including a Keanan Brand hat-trick, saw Leigh Centurions defeat Batley Bulldogs at Fox’s Biscuits Stadium.

First Half

Leigh were inches away from having the first try four minutes into the evening clash, with Krisnan Inu going over the line but was unable to keep hold of the ball.

Just prior to the ten minute mark and Inu was in again, as the New Zealander gets onto the end of a Ben Reynolds’ kick, but referee Ben Thaler adjudged him to be offside.

Midway through the first period and a wonderful sweeping move from left to right ended with a three on two in the Centurions favour. Chamberlain drew Campbell in and Brand slided in for the games first points. Krisnan Inu made a tough kick first up this evening! (1/1)

Within minutes, Brand had back to back tries. Another excellent move from left to right saw Caleb Aekins throw a cut out ball to our number three to slide in for his second of the night! Inu made yet another conversion. (2/2)

Over the halfway we headed and Aaron Smith got a kick play of the ball on the Batley try line and dove over himself for our third within 10 minutes. Inu stayed 100% with his kicking. (3/3)

Past the hour hour mark we headed and Brand went in after another sweeping left to right move for his third in under 20 minutes! Inu could not covert the kick to keep perfect. (3/4)

Two minutes were left in the half when Papua New Guinean Edwin Ipape goes from the rook himself and showed his power to get the ball down with two defenders all over him. Inu made the kick that ended up with the Centurions taking a 28 point lead into the break. (4/5)

Half Time – Batley Bulldogs 0-28 Leigh Centurions

Second Half

Following the break, the game turned into a scrappy affair, with both sides exchanging spells of possession without getting over the try line.

It wasn’t until 25 minutes to go that Batley’s Ben Kaye thought he’d scored the home side’s first try, but a superb defensive effort from returning Mark Ioane saw that chance dispelled as he got underneath the ball.

This was quickly followed by a wonderful line from Tom Amone that saw him break through the Batley defence – Joe Mellor wass on his inside supporting and raced away to extend the Centurions’ lead. Inu took his kicking to (5/6) in front of the posts..

Just prior to the hour mark and Ben Reynolds dummied and looked to be diving over himself but is held back. Joe Wardle was on his shoulder to take a pass and fall over the line. Inu made no mistake with his kicking. (6/7)

With ten minutes to spare, Leigh were in again as the ball came to the left from the scrum, Chamberlain drew the defenders in before getting the ball to Krisnan Inu who slid into the corner. Inu took his tally to 7/8 with a completed conversion.

As the game began to peter out, Ipape turned into a machine as he found a hole by the ruck and he raced away from 40m out to dive under the posts in front of the travelling Leigh supporters. Inu made the easy kick. (8/9)

Full-Time Batley Bulldogs 52-0 Leigh Centurions

Leigh Centurions: Aekins, Inu, Macdonald, Chamberlain, Brand, Reynolds, Mellor (C), Sidlow (C), Smith, Amone, Wardle, Stone, Asiata.

Interchange: Ioane, O’Donnell, Nakabuwai, Ipape.

Tries: Brand (3), Smith, Ipape (2), Mellor, Wardle, Inu.

Goals: Inu (8).

Sin Bin: None

Batley Bulldogs: Hooley, Johnson, Hodson, Buchanan, Campbell, White, Gilmore, Gledhill, Kaye, Reilly, Manning, Senior, Blake.

Interchange: Whiteley, Ward, Brown, Meadows.

Tries: None

Goals: None

Sin Bin: None

Attendance: N/A