A 13 try victory at Leigh Sports Village saw Leigh Centurions defeat Workington Town 58-6 in the Betfred Championship.

First Half

It only took three minutes for Blake Ferguson to get his account going for Leigh, as a fantastic move from left to right ended with Aekins running through a gap before sending Ferguson down the side to open the scoring.

Just prior to the ten minute and Ferguson was at it again, breaking through the middle after avoiding three defenders. After being brought down by Broadbent, a quick play of the ball found Sam Stone who passed on to Ed Chamberlain. Our centre did the rest and got our second of the afternoon with supreme class and ease.

After making a lot of intense pressure count, we set up for a passing move left to right, with Aekins throwing a wonderful pass out the back to the onrushing Ferguson who waltzed in for his second of the afternoon.

A minute prior to the halfway stage of the first period Krisnan Inu stormed down the left flank, following a pass from Aekins yet again, to go over in the corner.

Our fifth try came as Joe Mellor switched the play with a booming pass to Ben Reynolds. The Centurions number six put a grubber in, looking for Kai O’Donnell, who got there ahead of Young to ground the ball.

Moments prior to the half hour mark and Ferguson had secured his hat-trick. Ed Chamberlain offloaded out the back to Mellor who passed over the top to Ferguson to touch down for his third with superb flair.

A few phases of play passed before Workington knocked on and the ball was picked up by O’Donnell. He passed on to Nene Macdonald who stormed over for our seventh of the afternoon.

The visitors got a couple of set restarts and made the most of it two minutes before the break. Barnes crashed over for Workington’s first of the game.

Half Time – Leigh Centurions 30-6 Workington Town

Second Half

Two minutes after the restart and Leigh ran it in on the last as Macdonald stepped two would be defenders to touchdown for his second of the game.

With half an hour to go in the game, Ben Reynolds utilised the dummy run of Macdonald to pass out the back to the onrushing O’Donnell who slid in for his second of the match.

The hour mark was on the horizon as Macdonald looked to be wrapped up in the tackle but managed to smuggle the ball away to Keanan Brand. He ran through a hole before firing the pass to Inu for his second of the game.

Twenty minutes remained as Ferguson provided the assist of the night as the Centurions winger plucked the ball out the air, bumped off Clegg before offloading to Chamberlain. The Ireland international ran 90m to score in-front of the North Stand.

Another try followed as a pass over the top from Ipape gave Ferguson a walk in for his fourth on his debut – completed with a signature backflip.

To finish it off in style, Ferguson picked up a grubber and offloaded to Ipape. Ipape drew in Broadbent before sending Mellor racing down the wing to touch down for the final try of the afternoon.

Full-Time: Leigh Centurions 58-6 Workington Town

Leigh Centurions: Aekins, Inu, Macdonald, Chamberlain, Ferguson, Reynolds, Mellor (C), Amone, Smith, Ioane, O’Donnell, Stone, Asiata.

Interchange: Hingano, Ipape, Brand, Jones.

Tries: Ferguson (4), Chamberlain (2), Inu (2), O’Donnell (2), Macdonald (2), Mellor.

Goals: Inu (3)

Sin Bin:

Workington Town: Broadbent, Young, Bickerdike, Tate, Clegg, Thomas, Walker, Thomson, Craig Davies, Weetman, Wilkinson, Barnes, Connor Davies.

Interchange: Henson, Hutchings, O’Brien, Riley.

Tries: Barnes.

Goals: Thomas.

Sin Bin:

Attendance: 2459